Saturday, June 27, 2009

1 Year With Gold's Gym and the NSL 5K

My neighbor, Susi Mabey, and I just after running the NSL 5K this morning

June 28, 2008 at Taylorsville Dayzz with Mallory, my sister-in-law, and Jan, my mother-in-law (2 days after I started working out at Gold's Gym)

Yesterday was my one year anniversary of starting at Gold's Gym. June 26th, 2008 I had my first session with my trainer. I remember Kenton pushed me so hard I thought I was going to puke. My arms were shaky afterward and I had a hard time putting Josh into his carseat after the session. I felt completely out of shape, but 100% motivated. Since then it's been up and down but thankfully there have been MANY more ups than downs. Working out is apart of my life now and I couldn't imagine not being active. I love pushing myself to the limit and sweating (something I don't think I've ever said my entire life.) I've ran a 10K and a half marathon. I've lost 35 lbs. and dropped tons of inches. My energy level most days is sky high. I can wrestle with the kids and not get winded. I can race Ben across the yard as many times as he wants and I don't break a sweat. I love to do hard exercises and when I feel like I'm done, I like to push myself an extra couple seconds, just because I know I can. I feel strong physically and mentally. The great part about all of this is I've realized there is no limit to what I can do. My entire life I thought the smallest I could be was 140 and in a size 10. I never thought I could have muscle definition in my arms or legs, or that my stomach could shrink to a normal size. It's been amazing, mentally, figuring out that I can break barriers. It's all about how hard I want to push. If you work at a mediocre level you get mediocre results. You push yourself harder and eventually you will see results that you never thought were possible. I'm so glad I joined Gold's last year and glad I finally decided to take my life into my own hands and make the change I've been dreaming of for years.

I ran a 5K this morning with my sweet friend, Susi Mabey. I actually remember last year seeing a flyer for this race and wanting to do it, but at that point I was SO sore from my first session with my trainer I knew there was no way I could go run 3 miles. I vowed that next year I would do it. The last official 5K I ran was in May 2004. I believe my time was 31 min. My goal today was to get under 27 and my time was 26:54. I was excited that I reached my goal but afterward I felt a tad disappointed in myself because I realized I could have pushed even harder than I did. Oh well... a goal for next time. :)

5 comments:

Cristi said...

Congrats Jamie!

peter said...

One of these days we need to run a race together, since you are the one who got me started three years ago. The weight loss is healthy and you look great, but the thing that is so great about all of this is your attitude...you are in control, you are a strong woman, and you can do hard things. That is what makes your experience so amazing. Congratulations!

Kristy

Leslie said...

Jamie - you look sooo good! You have worked hard and look at all you progress in just 1 year - congrats! GREAT 5k race too!

Melanie and Chauncey West said...

It has been a long road...how many days aa week do you go? I just joined golds gym in raleigh and am trying to figure out a good balance I want to go more than I probably have time for or should make time for.

Andrea said...

Jamie you look absolutely fabulous and are an inspiration to me!!! Way to go and keep up the great work!