Saturday, June 20, 2009

What happened??!


The last time I checked I had a baby boy named Josh. It's hard to believe he is almost two and not a baby anymore. Two days ago Jake and I were talking about how we should probably get Josh used to a toddler bed since in 3 weeks we will be leaving for Oregon and the crib isn't coming with us. We debated bringing the pack'n'play but Josh hates that thing so we figured it would be better to get him used to sleeping on a mattress now and then he will be used to it when we leave. Well, for some reason this whole process has been harder for me to handle this time around than it was for the other two kids. When we transitioned Ben and Emma we did it because another baby was on the way and it was out of necessity. With Josh there is no baby on the way, and yet we're kind of pushing him to the next step of "big-boyhood." As I took apart his crib I kept thinking how all three kids used it and now it might become just a thing to store, as Josh might be our last kid. It was a little sad and I had a little tug at my heart as I put the thing away and set-up his toddler bed. I know in a way it's exciting that my little guy isn't so 'little' anymore but I think a mom has the right to feel a little sad... mourning the loss of infanthood. Well, look on the bright side, at least I still have potty training to look forward to... ugh. (Actually not looking forward to that one so if anyone wants to jump in and take over, be my guest!)

Josh in his crib a couple months ago. He sits like this sometimes when he's watching Blues Clues or just chilling in his carseat. It's so cute!


Hard to believe Emma used to be so little!


And here is little Ben, also enjoying his mobile. (I don't know what it was about that mobile but ALL the kids loved it. Also, another thing put into storage long ago which may never get used in our household again... shed a tear)

6 comments:

Cristi said...

I HAD that same mobile- there was something about it :). I've already given it away along with the rest of our infant toys, baby clothes, etc. They grow up too fast (and not fast enough)!

Woodruff Family said...

I know what you mean about transitioning because there is always another baby on the way. It's so weird seeing Wesley grow up and not expecting anther baby. He just takes his time growing up because I haven't forced him too like the others. WE just put him in a toddler bed a couple of months ago. I'm trying to get him to sleep in the bunk beds so I can get rid of the toddler bed. Yeah, and don't even get me started on potty training!

Ashleigh said...

Yeah, we moved Ryleigh to her toddler bed a couple months ago. I just didn't have any reason to get her out of the crib. She LOVED it and she would sleep in since she couldn't just get up and play. Now she's getting into toys at 5:30 in the morning and banging on her door to be let out. It's so fun....I think the next one might be our last, and so I'm taking my time with Ryleigh and just moving slowly

Brian and Carly said...

Cutest kids out there! That is tough!

Dream Big Designs said...

When I first looked at your blog, I almost thought Josh was Ben! He is getting so big. It is really hard to think, this might be it!? Well, love ya! Have a happy week.

Melanie and Chauncey West said...

I hear all kinds of uncertainties in this decision about no more babies. That will be the most awful feeling when you know it is actually over! So sad!