Thursday, July 8, 2010

Go Slow, Take it Easy

The words I have heard the most in the last 39 hours since I've been home from the hospital... Go Slow.  Take it Easy.  And don't worry, I am.  Doesn't mean it's easy, watching my mom as she bends over to put Josh's shoes on, or lift him onto the toilet so he can go to the bathroom, or give Emma a piggy back ride into her room before bed time, or jump on the tramp with Ben.  These are all things that just a few weeks ago I wouldn't have a second thought about doing... I would just do it.  Yes, life is a little different right now.  I just have to remind myself that I'm healing.  The worst thing I could do to myself right now is push too hard and do too much.  It would set me back.  I could cause damage to my body.  Such a weird thing to mentally absorb, but I'm trying.  As I watched "So You Think You Can Dance" last night, I watched these amazing dancers twist and turn their bodies, watched them work so hard that sweat was beading from every pore, and I wanted it to be ME.  I told my mom last night how crazy it is to think just one month ago I was running 10 miles at a time, pushing my body during a weight session with my old trainer, etc.  To go from that, to feeling winded just walking slowly up a flight of stairs is crazy.  I know it takes time to heal.  I have a feeling, though, this is going to be the longest month of my life.  Can't wait to jump back on the treadmill, bump it up to 7.0 and go to town!  Soon enough.  Soon enough.

I was talking with a good friend of mine yesterday, Kendalyn Harris.  She mentioned how she thought it would be a good idea to mention the specifics of the Fundraising Yard Sale this Saturday for all those local who wanted to contribute or just come shop.  So, here is the ad used on Facebook, Craigslist and KSL:

Saturday, July 10th 
8am to 1pm 
Winegar's Grocery Store parking lot (3371 Orchard Drive, Bountiful) 

Something for everyone: 

Leather sofa & loveseat, 42-inch Mitsubishi TV, futon, surround sound DVD player & speakers, treadmill, grill, Making Memories scrapbooking supplies- NEW!, Making Memories tag makers, Xyron sticker/label maker, girl's bike, baseball equipment, NEW king-size quilt & shams, adult, kids, and baby clothes (Gap, Old Navy, Gymboree), crib, baby swing, toddler bed, toys, household items, and so much more. 

20+ families throughout North Salt Lake and Bountiful have donated wonderful items to be sold in this yard sale fundraiser, which is helping a young family in North Salt Lake. A 29 year old mom of three was diagnosed with lung cancer in June and had most of one lung removed and is now cancer-free! All proceeds will be donated to the family to help cover their out-of-pocket medical expenses.

Donations for the garage sale are still being taken.  If you want to contribute, contact Kim at 801-992-3211 or e-mail her at: kimbeejohnson@yahoo.com.

The Facebook Event webpage for this can be found HERE.  And the listing on Craigslist is HERE.

Jake and I are completely overwhelmed and humbled by all the many, many people who have come together to make this yard sale happen.  I want to especially thank Kim Johnson and Abby Cherry, who have spent A LOT of time preparing and organizing this whole thing.  You gals are wonderful, and I love you both!

So, I'm a tad embarrassed and disappointed in myself.  The whole two weeks I was in the hospital I didn't get ONE picture of my mom and I together.  She was always the one behind the camera, taking the pictures.  I've apologized profusely and made Ben take one of us this morning.  Honestly, I don't know what our family would do without her.  She is seriously taking my place as mom this month, doing everything I can't.  She is also my nurse, helping me do whatever is needed.  Yesterday was the day I could FINALLY take my first 'real' shower (and it was AMAZING!!!)  I didn't stop groaning in the shower for probably 2 minutes, because it felt that good.  (You would do the same thing if you hadn't taken a shower in 15 days!)  My mom climbed halfway into the shower so she could put the shampoo and conditioner in my hair.  Then she helped wash it out, getting a little wet in the process.  What would we do without moms?!  After I was done she helped me tape gauze over my chest tube holes, and helped put my clothes on.  She is a real trooper and I love her so much.  Thanks, Mom!

Last night we heard a knock at the door and it was FedEx, dropping off a package from Blurb.com  I had no idea what it was.  When I opened the box up I found a hardbound book, a compilation of sweet messages and pictures from friends I met while up at the University of Utah, while Jake was in law school.  These friends are now scattered throughout the world, but I still stay in contact with them all.  My friend, Kristy Crane, asked for submissions and created this beautiful 30-page book.  It made me bawl like a baby.  Thank you to everyone who contributed.  You made my day, my week, my month.  Love you all!

And of course I need to add a little "mom brag" paragraph.  Jake and I told the kids they could sign-up for one fun activity this summer and Ben and Emma both chose swim lessons.  It's a two-week program and I was a little worried about their abilities, just because we had only gone swimming once or twice since they had swim lessons last summer and I thought they probably forgot a lot of their skills.  Well, it seems Ben and Emma have picked up right where they left off last summer and are doing amazing.  Ben can swim freestyle and backstroke across the pool all by himself.  Emma is doing "tiger arms" across the pool with barely any help.  They both love jumping off the diving board at the end of class.  Poor Joshie has to watch them and I'm sure is already counting down the days until he can do it next summer.  Thank goodness for our friends, Dave and Stevie Mangum.  They have a pool and have let the kids come swim this summer.  In fact, we are heading over there today mainly for Josh, so he gets a chance to swim.  Thanks, Mangum's.  We love you guys!

Well, better close.  Swim lessons start soon and I still need to get ready.

Love,
Jamie  

2 comments:

Becky said...

Hang in there!
It is so hard to go for on top of it to doing almost nothing overnight. (Been there. Probably still there.) It'll be worth it in the end though. It doesn't matter what you do compared to to other people, just that you do your best and improve every day. When you are used to being top of your game, it is hard to suddenly have your best seem like not too much. But what matters is that your are giving 100% of what you can do right now, even if it is only 10% of what you used to do. We love you!
Tell Mangums hi for us! We may be in town soon. Betwen insane work schedule for Kennan, flooding, and no housing here, we are thinking a an extended trip to UT may be in order. I would love to see you. Hang in there and don't get frustrated with giving your best, whatever it is that day. It is enough for now. And knowing you, you'll be up and at em again soon. Love you!

Nurse Heidi said...

Ah Jamie...I wanted to make it up to the sale today but it's already almost 11 and my list is only getting longer :(. I hope it's a rip-roarin' success!