Friday, July 2, 2010

Chest Tube #1 Removal

Yes, that 13 inch tube I'm holding was inserted into my chest cavity and drained fluid out of my body for 8 days straight.  I expected some weird noise, or overpowering stench as the tube was pulled.  I also expected to feel some degree of pain.  Neither happened.  The main tube was pulled.  No drama.  It was pretty anticlimactic.   My mom and my friends, Polly and Steph, were here and able to get in on the action.  My epidural was capped and turned off (but still left in), and then I began the transition on to oral pain medication.  In the morning there will be another x-ray taken to make sure fluid is not building up around my lung.  If it looks good, the second tube will be pulled and the epidural will be taken out.  I'm told if all that happens in the morning, I could be home by early afternoon.  Crossing my fingers.  You know, when I was told this part of the process would probably be the most difficult, they weren't kidding.  It's 3am and I'm feeling a good amount of pain, and my stomach is queasy.  Not a good combination.  I told my mom it actually might be quite comical, to watch me throw up, then squeal in pain from throwing up.  I just keep telling myself this won't last forever.  I'm on the homestretch, rounding 3rd base and heading for home.  It's just a few yards more until I get there (Jake will love that I used a baseball analogy.)

4 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

That's a big sucker. It's gotta feel easier to breath without that in there!!

Becky said...

Wow! That is crazy. Hang in there. I hope the oral pain meds are enough. I can't even imagine how much all of that must hurt. You are awesome. We love you!

Darren and Traci said...

you look so excited by that yummy tube. Wow you're such a trooper. I hate hospitals and all they entail (funny since I work at one, I just can't stand being a patient in them) It looks like you're doing great though and still in good spirits. I as well hope the oral pain meds will be enough for ya.

I saw below that some people are doing a yard sale for your medical bills. I was going to take some stuff to D.I. mainly our dishes that we just replaced, but if you think they'd need/want some extra things to sell I'd be more then happy to drive some stuff up there for that, just let me know. I can also ask around to my friends and see if they have anything worth while to sell that they'd be willing to donate if they want more stuff.

Megan said...

Jamie,

I have been out of touch for a while in the blog world. I just read up on all you have been through and can't believe it. You are in my prayers and thoughts, and if there is anyway I can help please let me know. You are so strong and I know you will get through this. I sure love you!

Megan