Friday, December 24, 2010

The Spirit of Giving

 I have to say, Jake and I have been pretty humbled this past week.  Last Thursday night I got a phone call from my best friend, Naomi, saying a package was coming for us.  The next day FedEx dropped off a pretty big box and Josh exclaimed "It's SANTA!"  We opened the box and inside were presents wrapped in pretty paper, one for each of the kids and a big one for Jake and I.  The one for Jake and I said "Open now" so we did... and we couldn't believe what was inside.  Let's just say, we are VERY spoiled.  Naomi and Jeremy were so sweet to think of us.  Then yesterday we left to go get a part to fix our windshield wiper fluid squirter on the van and when we got back, there was a box of presents there waiting for us on our porch, each addressed "from Santa."  The kids were SO excited!  After we put the kids to bed, the doorbell rang.  Jake and I were downstairs watching tv together and he ran up to answer the door.  When he opened it he found a pile of MORE presents, and no one in sight.  Jake and I were stunned.  Such sweet and giving people in our lives.  This is seriously the most presents we have ever had!  It's too much!!  We have no clue who brought all the gifts and are amazed by the generosity and love shown to our family. 

Yesterday afternoon we had a sweet man and his wife drop off nearly a whole MONTH'S worth of food!  It was crazy!  He contacted the leader of our ward and asked him for some names of families in the area who might need a little extra food for the holidays and our leader gave him our name, among a few others.  This generous man dropped off a ham, eggs, milk, pies, orange juice, rolls, pancake mix, oranges, butter, whipping cream, fudge, potatoes, crackers, oats, sugar, flour, maple syrup, frozen vegetables, hot chocolate packets, brownie mix, yams, and cranberry sauce.  We protested, but in the end Bro. Oaks won out.  So now our fridge is stocked and our pantry is full.  What a sweet blessing. 
I just have to say we are so humbled by all this love and support we have been shown this year.  I know my last post had a rather negative over-tone.  I hope you all realize we ARE grateful for all we have in our lives, and we ARE very aware of the blessings we have.  I know without family and friends, we would not have come out on top this past year.  I don't know how we would have survived this summer without the help of family, friends, and pure strangers.  And now we see, again, the hand of charity and love.  It's so humbling to be on the receiving end of all this and I hope, one day, I'll be able to give back tenfold.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Love,
The Schipaanboord's

4 comments:

Darren and Traci said...

so awesome! I love when the Christmas bug hits people and they are so much more generous and kind. It's such a refresher to see the nice things in life and get a break from all the hurt and heartache in the world. I'm so glad you guys were so blessed with so many nice things.

Russ and Em said...

I am so happy for you. It couldn't happen to better or more deserving people.

Jen said...

We have had many experiences similar to that: random gifts, so many dinners and so many offers of help. It is humbling, but I am sure everyone understands that you are grateful. I know I am constantly wondering how I can 'pay it forward' and just do what I can for now.

Merry Christmas and glad you have received so much help!

Mug said...

You are giving back. Giving and receieving are one in the same. The hand that gives receives back the joy of giving. The hand receiving gives another an opportunity to give. It is a beautiful and wonderful cycle. Have a very Happy New Year!
Love, Carol Coy