Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shoulda' Put a Ring on It

Oh wait... He did.  10 years ago today, in fact.  It was a rainy December day.  We went to the Evergreen Theater in Tanasbourne and saw "What Women Want" (you know the one, with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt... love that movie!)  Then Jake drove me out to Seaside, where we played games at the arcade and then walked along the beach.  It seemed we were the only ones out there (probably because we were!)  It was rainy and windy, and no sane person wanted to be outside in that weather.  We didn't care, though.  We were in love.  We chased each other on the sand, wearing our blue hoodies.  Then Jake wrapped his arms around me and we stared out into the ocean.  (Little did I know, he was fumbling around in his back pocket for a box.  A very special little box.)  As Jake presented it to me, and flipped the box open to expose "the rock", it fell onto the sand.  Oh CRAP.  He quickly retrieved it, blew the dirt off of it, then asked me to be his woman forever.
Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.  We were babies.  We've changed and grown a lot this past decade. So much has happened, it's crazy to even think about it all.  Law school.  Babies.  House.  Jobs.  Cancer.  Life has been good.  Life has been hard.  Life has been happy.  Life has been sad.  I guess that's what life is all about.  Funny to think that a 19 year old girl and a 21 year old boy thought they had it all figured out, way back then.  They had love and I guess to them, that's all that mattered.  Somedays I wish that 19 year old was still around, to remind this nearly-30 year old of that.  It's so easy to forget when life gets in the way.  So for today, I remember.

Love you, babe.

3 comments:

Russ and Em said...

Just have to say that I love Jake's hair at 21!

Unknown said...

You two are too dang cute! Happy Anniversary, Merry Christmas.

Brian and Carly said...

Love this post! Touching!