Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No Health Insurance- Day 12


Of course I knew it would only be a matter of weeks (well, days) until someone got sick, and I had a hunch it would be little Joshie too. With the cold of winter, this horrible air, and germs everywhere, it was bound to happen. It's different now, though. It's quite scary. Jake and I woke up this morning to Josh crying. It wasn't his normal cry, but the "I'm miserable and don't feel good" cry. His eyes were practically swollen shut, he has a deep wheezy cough, runny nose, and as of 6pm a temperature of 102.7. I sense another ear infection will probably come from this, if it hasn't already. This is the first time our entire marriage that we are uninsured, and with days like today, it's a scary situation.

I called the CHIP office first thing this morning (I was told they would call me within 7 days of me submitting my application). As of today, it had been 8 days. The woman on the phone spent 20 minutes grilling me about our financial situation, past insurance, etc. Then I was given a list of 5 things to get to them to verify our income. I got it all this afternoon and faxed it off. Now I have to sit and wait another week to see if we qualify. Crossing our fingers...

2 comments:

Russ and Em said...

I am SO sorry. Having no health insurance is so stressful. Have you tried the COBRA policy? It is outrageously expensive but better than nothing.

Iliana said...

Man. I'm hoping for a miracle fo you guys and you'll hear from them today! Poor Josh... hope he feels better quick.