Thursday, March 26, 2009

Why Oh, Why?!

Last Friday we had our good friends over, Jon and Lynette Bowers and Jarred and Ashley Henline. We all became friends when we lived up at the University and only had one child. (Ashley had her first when they lived there.) It's hard to believe now that we all have 3 kids (Ellie, the Henline's youngest, isn't in the picture.) We had a great time outside, throwing the frisbee around, the kids playing on the swings (notice the kids wearing short-sleeve shirts and shorts!) It was a beautiful day. We had a great time with them, reminiscing about the good ol' days, watching Jarred and Jon leg wrestle, and the women arm wrestle (yes, Lynette's muscles are HUGE, much bigger than mine!) The next day I ran 11 miles with my friend, Amber. I wore long spandex and a long sleeved shirt and about 5 miles into our run I was HOT. It was in the 70's Saturday! I LOVED it. After our run, I came home and showered, and had a few minutes to myself so went outside in the backyard barefoot, and basked in the sun for awhile. I'm such a happier person when it's warm and sunny. Last week was the first week in months that I could honestly say our family was 100% healthy. Well... all good things must come to an end, right?! Check out the last picture. Yes, this is what we woke up to this morning. It's cold. I'm sitting here bundled up, wearing my coat as I type this. Of course along with cold weather comes the sicknesses. I had to take Josh to the dr a few days ago because he had over a 103 temp and was miserable. He still has his double ear infections, which is a whole different post, Emma woke up with pink eye this morning, and my throat is swollen. When I picked Ben's friend up to take him to school this morning his mom told me they are going on a cruise tomorrow and I'm not going to lie... a streak of jealousy ran through me. I want the snow to melt now. I want to wear shorts and flip flops. I'm ready to bask in the sun, barefoot, in my backyard. My friend, Iliana, is feeling the same way I am. What sane person isn't?!! As I sat in my freezing van this morning with the seat warmer turned on and the heater cranked, I noticed the sleds in the garage and thought, maybe I should make the best of this miserable situation and take the kids out sledding... NAH. Not today, my friend... not today. Instead, I'll go cook some oatmeal, bundle up in a couple layers, and surf the internet for warm, sunny places and pretend I'm there instead of here.






7 comments:

Ashleigh said...

Yuck! I was done with the snow the week after it fell. I'm done with the cold. I am done with the brisk wind and the clouds and the rain! I WANT SUN AND WARMTH AND FUN OUTSIDE!!! I've been dying to go running outside, but anytime I actually have a space of free time for it, it's been raining or way too cold. Yuck, yuck, yuck

Brian and Carly said...

Amen sista! We just spent a few days in California. If I hadn't have left Avie here, I prob wouldn't have ever come home!

Iliana said...

Ya sledding slipped through my mind but I refuse!! And holy cow glad I know that I better start doing some arm weights for the next time we hang out... I would hate to loose. And hope I didn't offend on my post... I like Jake, ya know, just not a lot of his political views :) I just refuse to comment anymore since he's a lawyer and all and can make a good argument from thin air. I just end up looking like a lame stay-at-home-mom ;)

peter said...

I am so jealous that you all got to hang out together, how fun! The kids are all adorable, of course with such great looking parents how could they be different? And I'm with you, bring on the warm weather, less clothes, and beautiful sunshine days. I miss you!
Kristy

Lynette said...

I felt the same way about the sleds and then said NO WAY! SO you forgot to mention that you totally creamed me in the arm wrestle. It took you less than a second to beat me. HAHA I can't wait to get together again!

Bev Tate said...

so great to see everyone, just bemmed we missed out on all the fun

Naomi said...

How fun to all have kids around the same age! Quite a gun show there - lol:)
That just isn't right...i hate snow.
I think we got up to almost 80 today, summer came for a few days but the spring rain will be back on Wednesday.