Thursday, December 6, 2007

Grammy's Birthday Party

It was my Grammy's birthday yesterday. I'm not sure if she wants me broadcasting her age on the internet, so I won't, but let's just say she is still very young! We went to my Aunt Teresa and Uncle Kristen's house for a little party. It was fun to chat with everyone, eat ice cream and Texas sheet cake made from scratch (yum! Thanks, Teresa), and watch Grammy open her presents. This was the first time I can remember spending Grammy's birthday together with her. I feel very lucky to be living so close to my grandparents, especially now that I have my own kids and they can develop a close relationship with their great-grandparents. All growing up they lived in southern California and we lived in Oregon, so we didn't see them much. Plus, they served in Guatemala for 3 years as Temple President and Matron, served in Chile for 1 1/2 years, in Ecuador as Mission President for 3 years, and in Colombia helping with the Perpetual Education Fund for over a year and came home because of health reasons. Anyway, they have been out of the country for almost 10 years, off and on, and although we know they were doing what the Lord wanted them to do, it was still hard for us and them to miss out on so much with the grandkids and great-grandkids. Hopefully they are here to stay now, barely 20 minutes from our house! I love them both so much. I have always felt a special closeness with my Grammy. Maybe it's because I'm her oldest granddaughter. Who knows. I'm just very grateful for them and their examples. Happy 29th Birthday, Grammy!

4 comments:

Mandee said...

I'm having a hard time getting ahold of you, but I just left a message w/your sis inlaw to say that I got 8 tickets for you guys to go to conference! I hope you still need them.

PS. That 1st picture of Josh is my very favorite! I love how the blue fleece brings out his eyes... I am also very impressed with your decorating abilities. You're a Morman Martha Stewart.

Mandee said...

* they are for December 13th

Ashleigh said...

Okay, the picture of Kristin and his kids is hilarious. They're all like, "Yeah? What's up? What do you want?" and then the one of grandpa at the end with grandma is cute, but also funny. Grandpa looks like he's saying, "That's right, this is my girl." Fun, wish I could be there

Sonja said...

Ah, fun times, I love how Ben and Emma are blowing the candles too. I wish we could have been there but the pictures are good to see! Can't wait to see everyone in about 3 weeks!