Friday, January 18, 2008

Jesus Take the Wheel... Please!

We woke up to snow on the ground (again) and by lunchtime the snow on the driveway had melted so I figured we should pull out the Barbie jeep, since it had been awhile since it had seen the outside of a garage. Let me tell you, as I watched Emma take off, pedal to the metal, laughing her head off as she sped into the garbage can and the mounds of snow on the side of the driveway, I had this panicky feeling that she was enjoying this "freestyle" way of driving too much. I can already picture it in my mind: It's the year 2022. Some 17 year old kid named Jackson comes to pick her up for a date and she tells him "Move over, I'm driving!" She jumps into the driver seat and has this mischievous grin on her face (the same one she mastered from birth.) She revs up the engine and screeches out of the driveway, the wind blowing through her hair. Premonition... I think so. Of course, Ben was my cautious one, telling Emma to slow down, back up, take your foot off the pedal, etc. All kidding aside (at least partly), the kids had a ball. We were out there for about 40 minutes, even with the 26 degree weather. I thank my parents for this grand gift they gave my daughter, that has me scared out of my wits. This little jeep, in it's own special way, is preparing us for an adventure-filled future, full of fender benders, speeding tickets, and who knows what else. (Love you, mom. Love you, dad.)





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to the blogging world, I missed you! I love the pictures and your prediction of the future. Hopefully, Emma will grow-up to be like her mother and you won't have anything to worry about.

P.s. I am glad you were able to find the church news you were looking for. Hoarding does come in handy every once in a while.

Julie said...

Hey Jamie...You wont lose any of your posts, just your friends links on the side. You might want to write them down first. Do you want a picture on your header or anything??

Sonja said...

Yeah, I totally picture it about that way. She's one adventerous gal!

Chelsea said...

That is so cute! I love your title, that is so funny!